One year ago, Donald Trump thrust his bizarre, erratic, and incomprehensible campaign on the world. Much has been said about Trump’s "rhetoric" during his campaign — the racism, sexism, incivility, and much else besides — but rhetoric is not what makes a Trump administration a unique threat to the country. It is his policy proposals that should receive our closest attention and concern.
Below is a list of nearly 60 “policies,” if you can dignify them with such a title, that Trump has proposed during his campaign. The list drives home how truly frightening a Trump presidency would be for the country and the world. Skimming the surface of Trump’s stream of consciousness brings out some particularly disturbing aspects of his agenda: notably, the way he singles out specific businesses and individuals for targeting by the government, as well as his obsessions with China, Mexico, Muslims, and immigrants.
Perhaps worst of all, Trump’s proposals expose how broad he thinks the powers of the presidency are: virtually infinite. There is never a glimmer of understanding that the government is bound by the Constitution, that the federal government has limited scope and authority, or that president is just one of three equal branches of the federal government.
Instead, it is Trump, and Trump alone, who will transform American laws, government, and society, from the top down. Trump will bomb and invade countries, Trump will steal their oil, Trump will kill deserters, torture suspects, bypass courts, ban Muslims, break treaties, and have the military do things like mass executions with bullets dipped in pigs' blood — all while getting Americans to say “Merry Christmas” again.
Well, all I can say is Merry Christmas, America. Here's what the primaries brought us this year.
Bold: attack on individual or business.
Italics: attack on Mexico or China.
Underlined: attack on immigration.
- Make Ford Scrap Expansion Plan in Mexico
- Deport 11 Million Immigrants
- Triple Number of Deportation Agents
- Force Cities and States to Help Deport Immigrants
- Force Mexico to Pay for Wall on US Border
- Strip US Citizenship from Babies Born to Immigrants
- Use FCC to Fine His Critic, Rich Lowry
- Place 35% Tariff on Ford Cars Made in Mexico
- "We Will Break" North American Free Trade Agreement
- “Government Will Pay” for Health Care for “Everyone”
- Deport Syrian Refugees Legally in the US
- Soldiers Who Desert Should Be Shot
- Spend Tens of Billions on Border Wall
- Keep Troops in Afghanistan
- Kill TPP Free Trade Agreement
- Get Americans to Say "Merry Christmas"
- Create Special Deportation Force to Remove Immigrants
- “Bomb the S***” Out of Syria
- Close Mosques in the United States
- Create Database for Muslims
- Bypass Courts in Mass Deportation Plan
- Restart Warrantless Surveillance, Metadata Collection
- Kill Family Members of Terrorists
- Washington Post Is a "Tax Shelter" for Amazon, Jeff Bezos
- Ban All Muslim Travel to US
- Shut Down "Parts" of the Internet
- Issue Executive Order Mandating the Death Penalty for Killing Police
- Impose 45% Tariff on Chinese Products
- Throw Bowe Bergdhal Out of a Plane in Afghanistan
- Tells Supporters to Knock Out Protesters
- Use Eminent Domain for Economic Development
- Tax Carrier-brand Air Conditioners Made in Mexico
- Force Apple, Tim Cook to Break into iPhone for FBI
- Keep Obamacare’s Individual Mandate for Health Insurance
- Praises Mass Executions of Captured Soldiers with Bullets Dipped in Pigs Blood
- Threatens Donor for Giving to Opponent’s Campaign
- Prosecute Hillary Clinton
- Proposes “Trade War” with China
- “Open Up Libel Laws” to Sue Critical Press
- Force Apple to Make iPhones in US, not China
- Force Military to Follow Illegal Orders
- Prosecute Ed Snowden for "Spying" for Russia
- “Torture” Terrorism Suspects
- Increase Military Spending
- Steal Iraqis' Oil
- “Pause” Legal Immigration
- Send 20,000 or 30,000 Troops to Middle East
- Trump Could Envision a Nuclear First Strike
- Appoint Supreme Court Justice to Investigate Clinton’s Email
- Raise Taxes on the Wealthy
- Threatens Pfizer, Carrier, Ford, and Nabisco With 35% Tariff
- Increase Minimum Wage
- “Go After” Amazon for Anti-Trust and Taxes
- Bomb Libya
- Threatens “Mexican” Federal Judge Trying His Case
- Threatens PGA for Moving Golf Tournament from Trump's Resort to Mexico City
- “Keep Business Out of Mexico”
- Ban All People from Countries with "History of Terrorism"
- Surveillance of US Mosques
- Ban Guns for People on Secret "Watch Lists"
- Imprison People Who Don't Inform on Their Neighbors