FEE Proudly Presents the Read Academy
The Foundation for Economic Education (FEE) proudly presents the Read Academy, a new online learning platform for libertarians who seek to better understand and communicate the ideas of liberty.
Named after FEE’s visionary founder Leonard E. Read, the Read Academy offers online courses and book clubs featuring live and recorded sessions (including lectures, Q&A, and discussions), lesson reading lists, and community features. In these courses you can learn, among other topics:
- The principles of liberty
- Free-market, Austrian economics
- The history of liberty and tyranny
- Methods of advancing liberty
- Self-improvement tips for libertarians
- Skills for communicating liberty: writing, speaking, social media etc.
Become a founding student of the Read Academy by joining our Locals.com community at the Standard Supporter level, which only costs $5/month. If you join at the Premium Supporter level ($25/month), you will also be able to chat directly with a Read Academy educator to ask questions about any of the topics we cover. All Supporters will have posting privileges and access to all our available courses and book clubs. Course materials will be hosted on Google Classroom, and live sessions will be hosted on Zoom.
The Read Academy’s inaugural course will be “FEE 101,” an introduction to FEE’s history, philosophy, and methodology taught by FEE’s Director of Content Dan Sanchez. The course will also cover the lives of FEE’s foremost inspirations like Leonard Read, Frédéric Bastiat, Henry Hazlitt, and Ludwig von Mises. And we will study some of their classic works, like Read’s “I, Pencil,” Bastiat’s The Law, and Hazlitt’s Economics in One Lesson.
Registered students will be learning alongside FEE content creators and Hazlitt Fellows including Maggie Anders, Ben Williams (PraxBen), Patrick Carroll, and Jess Gill.
FEE 101 Details
- Course Length: 10 weekly lessons (one lecture per lesson)
- Lectures Day and Time: Mondays at 5:30 PM ET via Zoom.
- Date of First Lecture: October 2, 2023.
- Recordings of the lectures will be available to all registered students.
FEE 101 Weekly Lessons
- How Liberty Revolutionized the World
- How FEE Revived the Liberty Movement
- “I, Pencil” by Leonard E. Read: Emergent Order Vs. Central Planning
- Inspirations for “I, Pencil”: Bastiat, Mises, and Hayek
- The Law by Frédéric Bastiat Part 1: Rights and Government
- The Law by Frédéric Bastiat Part 2: Tyranny and Plunder
- Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt Part 1: The Lesson and the Broken Window Fallacy
- Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt Part 2: The Lesson Applied
- Elements of Libertarian Leadership by Leonard E. Read: How to Advance Liberty
- FEE and the Cause of Freedom Today
To register for FEE 101, join our Read Academy Locals community at the Standard or Premium Supporter level, and you will be provided with a registration link.
Other courses and book clubs will be added here later in September 2023. Planned future courses include "Introduction to Libertarian Civics," "Introduction to Austrian Economics," and "Introduction to Libertarian Leadership."
Hope to see you in October!
— Dan Sanchez