Greek Economic Education Initiative: Launch event
Larry Reed is speaking at this event.
One of the main problems in Greece is the fact that there is great economic illiteracy: there is almost no knowledge in regards to simple economics, which makes citizens more susceptible to populism (free markets and businesses being demonized as unethical and antisocial), as well as making those who go into entrepreneurship or into establishing small business ill equipped to thrive: in the past years, Greece had been consistently first in new businesses being created annually per capita in the EU, and consistently first for the shortest average time span for business closing after being incorporated.
In order for Greece to move forward, Greek youth (and Greeks in general) need to be educated in simple, everyday economics and the principles of entrepreneurship.
The project proposal calls for the translation into Greek and/or usage of economic education material from accredited organizations targeted at:
- High schools
- Introductory pre-university courses
- Adult education initiatives
- SME incubator projects
- Municipal/regional authority backed project
With that in mind, GLM has translated the FEE.org course 'Economics in one day' into Greek, and the event wil feature the launch of the initiative.
Speakers will include:
- Dr. Lawrence Reed, President of FEE
- Dafni Gavrili, President of the Seventh Municipal District of Athens
- Iasonas Konstantinidis, scientific advisor and seminar lead for GLM
- Dr.Panagiotis Liargovas, Prof. Economics Department of the University of Peloponnese
- Roula Bachtalia, Program Manager of the Egg Incubator
The welcoming speech will be given by the co founder of Greek Liberties Monitor, Michael Iakovidis.
Lawrence W. Reed is president of the Foundation for Economic Education and author of Real Heroes: Incredible True Stories of Courage, Character, and Conviction and Excuse Me, Professor: Challenging the Myths of Progressivism. Follow on Twitter and Like on Facebook.
The Origin, Nature and History of Money